Monday, May 23, 2011

Spreading the News

Jason had asked my father for my hand only an hour or so before he actually proposed, so my parents knew it was coming. The first people we called after the actual proposal were Jason’s parents in MN. Both were thrilled to hear of the engagement. His father was so funny when I talked to him. He yelled, “Yes! Yes! Finally!” After we talked to his parents, we drove to my mom and dads. On the way, I stopped and bought a Brides Magazine. My first bit of planning!
 The drive to Las Sendas was the longest of my life. When we finally arrived, I walked in the door holding the brides magazine with my left hand so my beautiful ring was showing. I stood in the entry way to the kitchen for a second waiting for my mom to figure things out. She looked at me, looked at the magazine, looked at my hand and then looked back up at me. Then she looked at Jason, looked at me, looked at my hand, and then finally she burst into tears. It was such a perfect reaction. My dad could tell by my mom’s reaction what was going on, and we all began to embrace and laugh and I got to show off my ring for the very first time. It was so perfect!
The rest of the day was amazing. One by one my family arrived at my parents house and I got to tell each of them individually. When my sister-in-law Megan and my brother Tim came, I scratched my face with my left hand and when Megan realized why, she started screaming. We both screamed and jumped up and down in the entry way while Helen just looked at us like we were crazy. When my brother Geoff and sister-in-law Laura came, I tried the same trick, but they were much more interested in me actually telling them I was engaged. The neat thing about telling Geoff and Laura was that they immediately asked Jason and I to be their daughter Aniela’s godparents. We, of course, accepted.
Hat day we also got to see Dave and Liz, Megan’s parents, and my grandma. We also got to try and explain it to Gabe, Helen, and Luke, but I’m not sure they understood exactly what we were all talking about. Unfortunately Isabel was with her mom that day, but I got to tell her the next weekend when the family was in California for Tim’s graduation from USC. It has been fun to watch her soak everything in, especially when I asked her to be my Maid of Honor.
Finally, after everyone we needed to tell in person or on the phone had been told, we put it up on Facebook. We changed our relationship statuses from ‘In a relationship’ to ‘engaged’ and the comments of well wishes and congratulations came pouring in.
It was simply the single most exciting day for me thus far in my life. J

No comments:

Post a Comment