Monday, March 5, 2012

My Bridal Shower!

A girl's bridal shower, like her wedding, is something she has thought about a lot before it ever happens. For my entire life, I hoped my bridal shower would be hosted by my mom's best friend Bonnie. My mom and Bonnie have known each other for 50 years. If that's not a time-tested friendship, I don't know what is. 

Through the process of planning my shower,  Bonnie did a great job of letting me have just a little bit of input without me feeling like I knew exactly what was happening. She gave me a lot of option: tea, lunch, brunch, etc, and I decided (or had decided a long time ago) I wanted a luncheon. 

Me and Bonnie

The week before my shower, my mom and I went shopping for the perfect dress. I've lost a little weight recently, and I was really looking forward to trying on dresses in my new 'runner's body'. We went Macy's (our favorite place to shop) and I think I probably tried on 20 or 30 dresses. I needed one that would be perfect for a mid-morning luncheon. Thanks to Jessica Simpson (who is totally crazy, but designs really cute clothes) I found this perfect dress:

The dress!

The day of my shower I could hardly breathe I was so excited. My mom picked me up at my house with my Great-Aunt Doris and we all drove together. When we got to Bonnie's, I tried to stop and take it all in. Every single detail was perfect. The tables were all set with these great butterfly picture holder favors and each spot had a yogurt and granola parfait. The kitchen table had been reserved for drinks with lemonade and coffee. Even the little dishes holding the mints and nuts on the tables were perfect.



As people started to arrive I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the women who I was surrounded by. Some I had known almost my whole life like Micki Remos. Some, like my sisters and Christina Flack knew me during a very dark time in my life before I found Jason and recovery. Others have only known me the last three years when my life has been completely transformed. The thing that impacted me the most was that they were all there to celebrate with me at my bridal shower.

Me and Christina 
Me and Isabel
The ASU PhD girls (including two of my bridesmaids Amanda and Lettice!)

Megan, A. Doris, Grandma and Marcy 
Johnna, Laura and Diane


Me and my mom

Devon, Mom, Me, Bonnie and Dawn
A. Doris, Grandma and Me 
Bridal Party!
Opening gifts was overwhelming (in a good way!). I felt so blessed to have such a huge pile of goodies in front of me! It was exhilarating because everything I opened was something I had registered, and the things that I hadn't registered for were totally exciting (like lingerie and new apron set to match my kitchen!)








































At the end of the afternoon, my knight in shining armor swooped in to take me home. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment